for innovators interested in creating a technology-based startup
OTTCP maintains contacts at venture-capital firms, accounting firms, law firms, and other service providers for startups.
Please contact a member of OTTCP to discuss your plans and how we can help.
- OTTCP supports seminars and events on campus that provide information about starting a company. See our calendar and @innovateCaltech Twitter feed for upcoming events.
- Participate in the Innovation Node-Los Angeles (IN-LA), a collaboration of USC, Caltech, and UCLA, funded by the National Science Foundation's I-Corps Program and the Nodes of the National Innovation Network.
- If you are working on a cleantech-related venture, Caltech's First Look out West (FLoW) program offers several resources and business plan competitions with cash prizes.
- OTTCP has a collection of books, housed on the 9th floor of Millikan Library, on creating and growing companies. See the complete list.
- Internal funding programs for Caltech-owned technologies can be used to move technologies from the lab to the marketplace.
- OTTCP can also help place Caltech students as interns in start-ups and can work with outside parties to help do market research for your venture. Contact a member of OTTCP for more information.
- The Entrepreneurs Forum holds monthly talks about technology-based topics.
- Various courses and clubs are also resources for members of the Caltech community.
In Pasadena/Los Angeles:
- Innovate Pasadena sponsors events and meet-ups for technology and design entrepreneurs in the greater Pasadena area.
- MADIA Tech Launch hosts educational networking events within the greater San Gabriel Valley area.
- The Design Accelerator (TDA) is a Pasadena-based accelerator focused on early stage design and technology companies.
- The Business Technology Center of Los Angeles County (BTC), located in Altadena, is one of the largest technology incubators in California.
- LabLaunch enables access to affordable, high-quality lab facilities and a supportive innovation community for scientists and entrepreneurs.
- Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) helps clean technology start-ups by providing office space, coaching and mentoring, and networking.
- The Pasadena Biosciences Collaborative (PBC) is an incubator offering affordable laboratory space and shared equipment for start-ups. The PBC also offers legal, business, marketing, and fund-raising support.
- Cross Campus offers seminars, workshops, and office hours with established entrepreneurs that focus on building a startup. Office and meeting spaces are also available.
- Launchpad LA is an accelerator that provides office space, funding, and entrepreneurial mentorship for a short period of time to more advanced technology start-ups.
Other useful readings, resources on the web:
- Illumina Accelerator facility for startups
- Stanford Technology Venture Program's Entrepreneurship Corner
- Stanford E-Corner
- Steve Blank
- Founders School
- Fierce Biotech
- Business Owner's Toolkit
- Rock Health Fundraising
- Top Ten Legal Mistakes Made by Entrepreneurs
- National Venture Capital Association's Standard Legal Forms
- Orrick's Atartup Forms Library
- Cooley's Standard Legal Documents
If you have a resource you would like featured on this page, please contact us.